Tuesday, February 24, 2009

House Sounds

Ive thought about this quite a bit. Once Justus was old enough to get around without all my attention, I started learning what different sounds things make when he was playing with them. I think any mom who stays home has done this. You know the familiar sounds, the ones when the kids are playing vs getting into mischief. In my house, my kids are not allowed to play with cabinets except the one that is really hard to open and neither has yet to open it. But that handle and that cabinet, I know what sound it makes. If Im putting my makeup on and one of the kids is playing with it, I know its ok. Other sounds like the cars on the tile, or the rolling of the push toy or the books being taken out of the bin - I know them all and when I hear them I know the kids are playing well. Other sounds are "no" sounds. If a forbidden cabinet is opened or a Hot Wheels is being drug across the wall. When I hear these it calls for my attention. And every so often I hear a new noise that makes me have to go investigate. It just strikes me funny what our ears get accustomed to.

2 comments:

Michele said...

This is so true! Today I was inside and the kids were outside and I heard a sound like running water. I couldn't figure out what it was. Little Boy had discovered the water faucet outside and was turning it on and off. He thought it was great fun. Me? Not so much.

Mom/Grammy in Bama said...

It always amazed me how God put us mommys together. The ability to recongize even minute sounds that somehow dads miss. Maybe its like a kind of 6th sense. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Wait till your little ones discover you really do have eyes in the back of your head.
I love you my Chickie! What a blessing you are!!