Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On my heart

Lately Ive been reading In His Steps by Charles Sheldon. It is a book written around the the late 1800's. It is very challenging to say the least. It is the book that started the WWJD movement. An underlying tone of this book is what am I doing to give and live sacrificially for Christ. Here is an excerpt that has been ringing in my ears, spoken from a character that has a beautiful singing voice and society expects her to sing professionally:

The world has been served by men and women who have given it other things that were gifts. Why should I, because I am blessed with a natural gift, at once proceed to put a market price on it and make all the money I can out of it?......I want to want to do something that will cost me something in the way of sacrifice....I am hungry to suffer for something. How much have we denied ourselves or given of our personal ease and pleasure to bless the place in which we live or imitate the life of the Saviour of the world? Are we always to go on doing a s society selfishly dictates, moving on its little narrow round of pleasures and entertainments, and never knowing the pain of things that cost?

Im truly pondering this in my heart. How can I do this in my life? What ways can I sacrifice so that it costs me something? I have a shadow of an idea....

2 comments:

Mom/Grammy in Bama said...

Oh my sweet girl! You are already sacrificing for Him. You are sacrificing your own wants & needs each moment that you are taking when you are pouring Jesus into your babies. You are growing them up as the Lord would want you to, to be a shining light for Him. This takes MUCH time and effort and sacrificing when everything in this world teaches against His way! There is a season for all things and right now you are exactly doing what you should be doing and its the hardest job in the world.
Bless you, Kelly! You are my sweetness!
Love you...

Jacinda said...

Wow girl. That's some soul searching! That's so sweet to offer dinner. Thank you! We'll be in the hospital most of next week. (c-section) I love that you're doing your 1st family night. Can't wait to read about it!