Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My kids + the doctor = complete awfullness!

Earlier this month Justus went in for his 3 year old check up. You would think this would be no big deal. He and I talked about how the nurses would weigh him and measure him and then the doctor would come in and listen to his heart. I tried to tell him all about it so he would be prepared. Well, we went and the nurse didnt take us to the room first, she stooped in the hallway and asked Justus to take off his shoes so he could be weighed. This set Justus completely off. I didnt tell him hed have to take off his shoes - imagine that - I cant completely foretell the future! So he proceeded to throw a ginormous fit right in the hallway were everyone could witness. And it was so big and so involved that he was literally scooting himself down the hallway yelling "NO". Meanwhile, I must do my best to calmly get him to come back, which really means picking him up and bringing him over (this happened multiple times and he was never properly weighed or measured - good thing he likes to get on the scale at home). All the while Haven is not a happy camper either. All this before we even get into the room....

I say all this as a prelude to todays events.....

Today was Justus Cardiologist appointment which he goes to annually. For me this is very important cause its the state of his heart and its way more involved. With that kind of history as detailed above, I know that I have to not only bring him successfully through the intake process of weight, height etc. Next comes the EKG where they have to put sticky things all over his chest with wires attached and he has to sit super still, then the Cardiologist comes in to look him over, then we have to go to another waiting room where we will then go into the Ecco room where they do a sonogram of his heart and he has to let them put goo all over his chest and then rub the light-pen all over him for at least 10-15 min while they take pictures. Oh and he has to be still for that also. Needless to say, there was more than one fit, Haven cried at least as much as Justus, if not more and it was completely awful! However, the silver lining, we were able to get the EKG and Ecco done and the Dr said he looked great. Whew - glad thats over. Hopefully next year it wont be so awful!

3 comments:

Dad/Grand Dad in Bama said...

Kelly,
PTL, on Justus progress. You had your hands full. Next year, get your Mom to come out and watch Haven.
I love you,
Dad

Mom/Grammy in Bama said...

Great idea Don! Just let me know in plenty of time and I WILL BE THERE, Kelly!!! How awful for you, but necessary. So happy for the good report. God is soooo good!
Love to you!

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, Kelly! I'm so sorry. Just think, another silver lining is that both of those are done for another year.