Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Justus and thumb sucking




Justus started sucking his thumb pretty much within the first few months of birth. As soon as he could coordinate it, his thumb was there. And I have to say, I was really happy about this. It meant he was a great sleeper. And we all know in those early months thats a huge plus. I never really worried about him stopping. After all, he comes from a long line of thumb suckers. I did until I was 5. My dad also was a thumb sucker and Im sure there are many more in the family lineup.

I had heard around 4 kids tend to loose their need for their safety objects, be it a blanket, stuffed animal or whatever lovey they had chosen. So I was on the lookout for an opportunity to break Justus of this habit. Then around mid summer Justus, all on his own, started asking me if it was ok if he sucked his thumb. So, I took this to mean he was ready. I prepped him by saying that when he started preschool he could no longer suck his thumb. Then when the time came, he knew the only time he could suck it was when he was in his room. (Which basically is nap and bedtime). I have been so proud of him. It was not a battle at all. He really has just owned it and keeps it to his bedroom.

Im so glad it has been this easy!

Heres a pic from July...typical Justus - thumb in mouth, blankies all around. And I believe the other is a pic of the first time he sucked his thumb.

3 comments:

Mom/Grammy in Bama said...

Wow, that is a milestone, Kelly! Time to leave things behind as he is growing and maturing. Precious memories...
I love you!

Dad/Grand Dad in Bama said...

Yep, many thumb suckers scattered around. Uncle Bob (our resident dentist ) thought nothing of it. But, the sooner you stop ( like you ) the better it is.
I love you, They always let you know when they are ready.
Dad

Unknown said...

Justin and I were both thumb suckers, but surprisingly enough Levi has never sucked his thumb, or used a pacifier. Knock on wood he won't want to all the sudden start doing it now.