For our 6th anniversary we decided to take a trip over to the coast to do some wine tasting. Now, as fun as that sounds, that was not our original idea. We originally wanted to head to the beach, soak in some rays, walk our familiar trails and just take it easy. However, the weather did not want to cooperate with that idea. It was supposed to be rainy and cold the dates we had set aside (Neil had taken off work, Gigi was lined up to watch the kiddos) so we knew the plan had to change.
Neil really wanted to "get away" and I guess after "getting" I have to agree its the best thing to do from time to time.
A few months back we had talked about going wine tasting with some friends in Paso but cost and time and other factors led us to put the idea away. So I revisited it when I needed to think of something indoors. I had already done a bunch of research on what would be the best way to go about wine tasting so after a few calls, we were all set to go.
We booked a ride on The Wine Line and I have to say, if you are not going in a big group, it is the best way to go. They pick you up at your hotel and take you to whatever wineries you want to go to drop you off, leave you for about 40 min then come get you to take you to the next winery. Our driver, Nick, was super nice and very knowledgeable (He had graduated Cal Poly with some kinda degree in wine making). There was another couple that happened to be wine tasting with us that day and since we hit it off, we ended up doing most of our tasting with them.
It was a fun day. We hit up 6 wineries in about 6 hours. Nick picked us up from our hotel - Paso Robles Inn - around 11, we went to go pick up the other couple then we were on our way.
The first stop was Eagle Castle. I had really wanted to go here because it was said it was an old castle. Sounded fun to me. Our tasting lady was super nice, probably a bit younger than Neil and me and gave us lots of great tips, history and just overall great info.
Next we went to Red Soles winery, named such because their first batch of wine was literally crushed by the soles of their feet like they did back in the day.
Rhotta was our next stop. Angie helped us there. We also ate our lunch there.
The next morning we had a relaxing time, getting up slowly, then headed home. It was a GREAT get away!
2 comments:
What a great time. I like it. I love you, Dad
I agree with dad, what a great time!! Sounds like quite an education on wines and wineries too! ILY!
Post a Comment