Thursday, April 3, 2008

Something funny happened today...

It all started innocently. I was sitting at my desk today, working on structuring a bond issue for a megachurch in Virginia, and I received a call on my cell phone. By the ring I knew it was my wife without looking. I grabbed the phone, clicked on answer and said, "Hey Kelly!" But I heard nothing. I could tell there was something on the other end, but no words. I continued to say 'hello' thinking that perhaps Kelly dropped the phone or maybe just didn't realize she dialed. Instead I heard some faint jabbering. I quickly realized it was my 2 year son Justus. Justus was saying hello to me. I proceeded to have a short chat with him, waiting for Kelly to take the phone and say hi. I kept waiting, and waiting, and chatting with my jabbering 2 year old. I heard nothing of Kelly, not even in the background. This started to concern me. I started to ask Justus where Mommy was. He told me "Kitchen." So I asked Justus to take the phone to Mommy in the kitchen. Now this was all pretty strange. Justus knows not to touch our cell phones, they are a 'no touch.' And to top it off, this was during his normal nap time. Justus kept jabbering about little Einstiens and cars and everything else he could think of while I kept asking him where Mommy was, where sister was, and for him to take the phone to her. During this I quickly got up from my desk and ran out to the car. My mind was racing, thinking that Kelly was in trouble and I needed to get there. I kept Justus on the phone, asking him what sound a dog makes, what sound a cat makes, can he count to ten for me. I sped home and pulled in to the garage. I walked in, and noted that Haven's door was mostly shut with the lights out - meaning she was still in her crib napping as normal. I then turned to see Justus' door shut - the normal napping sign, but I was still chatting with him. I could hear him in his room. I then walking into the living room to find Kelly sitting on the couch reading her bible. I smile at her and asked if she knew that Justus had her phone. She state, "I wondered where that was!" It turns out that When Kelly put Justus down for his nap, she had a hoodie sweatshirt on with her cell phone in the front pocket. It must have fallen out in to his crib when she bent over to put him in. He evidently woke up midway through his nap, found the phone and started pushing the buttons. I must have been the last person she called and it dialed me up. This was one of those frightening father/husband moments that now I'm laughing about!

No comments: